This recipe came from my favorite Aunt....
I have not made it yet, but since it's Apple Season I wanted to share it ASAP!
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
- Throughly grease a 10-9nch Bundt pan with shortening (Crisco) and lightly flour it
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup orange juice, fresh possible
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped (I like to toast them)
2 1/2 cups peeled, cored, finely diced apple (about 4 medium apples)
- Sift together the flour, salt baking soda and cinnamon, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the sugar, eggs, and oil until smooth.
- Add the orange juice and vanilla, mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the walnuts and apples until blended.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven, let it cool in the pan on a rack, 15 minutes, then turn out onto a cake plate.
6 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup buttermilk
- Combine the butter, sugar, baking soda, and buttermilk in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil 5-10 minutes, until it thickens slightly and begins to turn light brown.
- Take off the heat.
- Using a toothpick, punch 15 to 20 holes in the top of the cake and pour the glaze over the cake.
- Let the cake set and cool before serving.
- Store in an airtight cake carrier in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks!